A Penny Saved is a Penny Earned

A Penny Saved is a Penny Earned -
Benjamin Franklin

Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Credit Card Benefits

If you are able to do so safely (without incurring debt) use credit cards to your advantage. Take time to list the benefits from each card. I have a sheet showing which cards offer the most bonus for different transactions that I keep in my wallet. For example, Discover currently offers a 5% bonus on gas/petrol. American Express offers 2% on restaurants. In addition to the bonus, look for other benefits some offer travel insurance, most will refund for damaged products.

Don't forego using cash when advantageous though. You may sometimes get a discount for a cash purchase.

If you have good credit, you may get offers for a sign on bonus. I paid for a cruise for our whole family with sign on bonuses from new cards that I opened one year (afterwards you may get restricted from opening new credit card accounts for two years though). As an added advantage, at a later date when I stopped using some of my cards, they offered another bonus for spending $300 over a two month period.

More info. here