A Penny Saved is a Penny Earned

A Penny Saved is a Penny Earned -
Benjamin Franklin

Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Affordable Mobile Phone Service


After AT&T hiked up it's prices yet again for additional data that I'm highly unlikely to use, I decided to look into different options.

Consumer Cellular had the best offers for my needs at over half the cost I was paying monthly for AT&T services and I was able to use my current phone - AT&T phones are unlocked.

Target stores offer Consumer Cellular  and will set up your phone for you and advise you on plans. Not all Targets have representatives though so check which ones in your area offer that service (you can purchase a SIM card at most stores and set it up yourself). Or you can order a SIM card and work with a Consumer Cellular customer service representative online or on the phone.



As an added bonus if your plan is set up by June 30, 2019 you will receive a $20 credit on your bill.

5% discount for AARP members (AARP annual fee is around $16)

Note: Make sure your Access Point Names APN is set up. I was unable to send or receive images with text messages until it was set up correctly but a customer service representative was able to talk me through it over the phone. They can also do it remotely if you don't feel comfortable with doing it yourself.

Update July 2019: I just received my first bill from Consumer Cellular which was $1.99!
I paid $10 to initially set it up which showed up as a credit along with the $20 credit for the bonus for signing up before June 30 and a discount for being an AARP member.