Make sure you do your research first (I usually only give to local charities where I know the work they are doing)
- Check first to see if they are a legitimate charity
- Look at their financial statements (beware if they don't disclose these)
- How much is going to administrative costs (some use as much as 90% of your donation toward "administrative" costs.
- Look closely at the name. Sometimes fraudulent sites use a name close to a legitimate one or imitate a well known charity with a similar logo.
- Also be aware of Go Fund Me pages. These are ripe with scams. Only donate to those you know to be legitimate.