A Penny Saved is a Penny Earned

A Penny Saved is a Penny Earned -
Benjamin Franklin

Friday, November 23, 2018

Turkey Soup

Image result for turkey soupThere's been a lot of talk lately about boiling bones for the health benefits (recommended by Halle Berry) so don't throw the turkey carcass away.

I found an easy turkey soup recipe (but time consuming). I removed all the "good" meat from the carcass and put that aside (chopped into bite size pieces) before boiling the carcass with 2 bay leaves and 1/2 teasp. salt then strained the stock after it had cooked for several hours.

I then returned the stock to the slow cooker and added carrots, celery and onion and continued cooking until the vegetables were tender. Finally, I added the chopped up turkey and cream of chicken soup until heated. (I didn't add rice).

If you don't want to go to the trouble of boiling the bones, just use ready made stock. I used the crockpot for the recipe, but you could cook it on the stove. You can also emit the can of cream of chicken soup if you don't want a creamed soup.

Another turkey soup recipe here