A Penny Saved is a Penny Earned

A Penny Saved is a Penny Earned -
Benjamin Franklin

Monday, May 2, 2016

Donut Style Bed for Cat or Small Dog

I have a friend who finds stray cats (or rather they find her) so I thought a great gift would be a cat bed. They sell for $10 or more if purchased from the pet store.

I found this pattern online. You can see the instructions here. I have a box full of scrap material and old sheets and used a discarded pillow for the stuffing. A great gift at no cost.


  1. Cut two pieces of material in a circle approx. 22" in diameter.
  2. Place right sides together and sew around edge leaving an opening (I found it easier for stuffing to leave two openings opposite each other).
  3. Turn to right side and mark another circle in the middle, leaving around 4" between the inner and outer circle. Leave an opening for stuffing in the inner circle also.
  4. Stuff the inner part and sew up the opening.
  5. Stuff the outer part (I used a dowel to push the stuffing around).

Note: I placed a clean garbage can lid on the material and marked around it with a pencil (22" diameter) and for the inner circle I used a large serving plate.

I also made a smaller one for my granddaughter's toy dog.