A Penny Saved is a Penny Earned

A Penny Saved is a Penny Earned -
Benjamin Franklin

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Getting out of Debt

I've put posts on the blog before about getting out of debt, but it's worth repeating because it is the biggest struggle most of us have.

On the heels of an expensive divorce, it took me nine years to become debt free and pay off credit cards (most of the debts which weren't mine), the car and mortgage.

I started off by haphazardly paying any extra money from yard sales, EBay sales and overtime toward credit cards, but it seemed like a teaspoonful of water from an ocean. I'm a goal oriented person so I wrote out a plan on an Excel spreadsheet, worked out how much extra I would have to pay each month on the mortgage and stuck to the plan. I also allowed/budgeted for meals out with friends and other activities I enjoy, but on a lower budget.