A Penny Saved is a Penny Earned

A Penny Saved is a Penny Earned -
Benjamin Franklin

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Distressing Picture Frames

This was from a Daisies and Buttercups post (another of my blogs) and a great way to use old picture frames. I don't like wood overly distressed, but I did like how these pictures turned out. I am using teal as one of the accent colors in a room, but didn't want the color to be too bright. By distressing the picture frames, it made the color more subtle.

There are a lot of YouTube videos explaining how to distress furniture/picture frames, but the main idea is to layer paint. For the picture frames below, I used three coats: Dark brown, silver, teal. Make sure each  coat is dry before painting another. After the frames are completely dry, use steel wool and gently rub some of the top two coats off in a few places (mostly on edges). I really liked the distressed look on these frames.


Note: yard sales are a great place to find inexpensive frames.