A Penny Saved is a Penny Earned

A Penny Saved is a Penny Earned -
Benjamin Franklin

Monday, February 8, 2016

Magazine Subscriptions

I often receive offers for low cost magazine subscriptions which seem like a bargain until you read the fine print. Many publishers are opting to automatically renew the subscriptions at the end of the time period (not necessarily for the same low cost). Of course, you can always cancel these at the end of the time period, but good luck with finding a phone number.
To combat this, if there is a magazine I like and the price is right I order by check (and don't give them a credit card number). I write both on the card and on the check that I don't wish to automatically renew (keep a copy of both). I also write on the calendar when the subscription expires. Although I have found that even after repeatedly letting them know by mail that I don't wish to extend the subscription I still get a few stray ones and a few not very nice letters demanding payment for an additional one year subscription - I ignore those and they eventually stop.