A Penny Saved is a Penny Earned

A Penny Saved is a Penny Earned -
Benjamin Franklin

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Painting Tips

Recently I heard that it's better to paint with flat paint rather than satin. The reason is that satin paint oxidizes so if you need to paint over a spot, even if using the same paint can, it will be a different shade. With flat paint this doesn't happen. I haven't experimented with this so can't confirm it.

I have been trying different paints (shades of yellow) for my dining area and have a collection of samples. Instead of throwing them away, I mixed some with the white primer and that resulted in using less topcoat paint. You don't always need a primer, but I had the walls re-textured which seemed to absorb the paint and so needed to paint with a primer first. You only need enough color to tint the primer.

I also painted the interior of my garage and after watching a show about recycling paint dumped unused paint into a large bucket and used that. When mixing paint together separate warm colors from cool colors.