A Penny Saved is a Penny Earned

A Penny Saved is a Penny Earned -
Benjamin Franklin

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Non Shopping Week

This is the week that I hunt for food in my own pantry instead of wandering the grocery store aisles. See previous post here. I try to do this once a month and get creative with food in the fridge, freezer and pantry.

I have loads of canned tomatoes so for dinner defrosted some chicken breasts, spread pesto on each of them for seasoning and added a spoonful of diced canned tomatoes (save the juice for soup). Cook at 350. Cooking time will depend upon how thick the chicken breasts are but usually 35-40 minutes. They turned out great.

The following day I put the remaining juice in the crockpot with Italian seasoning and a chicken bouillon cube. I added frozen vegetables, another can of tomatoes, a few carrots, water and then some macaroni (you don't want to add the macaroni until later as it will get soggy). I also "found" a packet of cornbread mix.

For a quick way to make brownies, use a chocolate cake mix and add a 15oz can of pumpkin. No need to add any other ingredients. When mixed it will be a little thicker than usual. I made mine in a cupcake pan.

If you have any ideas for using what you have in the pantry, let me know and I'll add a link to this post.

Simply Frugal Lifestyle - soup recipes