A Penny Saved is a Penny Earned

A Penny Saved is a Penny Earned -
Benjamin Franklin

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Water Rationing

 This is the forty-first day with over 100 degree heat and it hasn't rained for months. Fortunately, our town hasn't started water rationing, but I'm trying not to waste any. Some bad habits that I have is running the water while I'm brushing my teeth and letting the shower or tap run while waiting for hot water to come through. Water flowing down the drain could be used to water plants and around the house where foundations are not doing well. Yesterday, I collected all the water that I would normally waste, and measured it. This included running water in the shower and sink while waiting for hot water to come through and water for rinsing dishes after washing them (I'm not using the dishwasher because electric delivery companies are threatening rolling blackouts if consumption isn't reduced). The total was 24 pints (3 gallons). Over a year this would accumulate to 975 gallons.